Monday, April 8, 2013

The Weekend

I originally started this blog in the fall.  I only got through a few posts before I gave up.  Life happened and I started to go for what was easy as opposed to what I believe is right for me and my body.  

I want to remind everyone that this is a transition for me.  Some people are able to make a change instantly and never look back.  Others need to move in the right direction.  Whatever type of person you are is okay.  When you make a "mistake" on  your plan, don't throw in the towel.  I've always been an all or nothing person.  This has meant that when I went off course, even once, then the goal went out the window completely.  Even if you can start by making one vegan meal a day, you're going to enjoy the benefits.  

One thing that I KNOW helps me find success but I struggle with A LOT is planning.  When we plan, it's much easier to stick to the plan than when we have to make decisions on the fly.  I know this works for me but I often fail to do it.  That's someone I'm working on changing.  

This weekend I failed to plan and I allowed myself to get too hungry (against the wise advice from my vegan friend, Stephanie).  Being vegan is not always the easy choice.  I ended up choosing non-vegan options in a few different settings.  I'm going to have to be sure I have vegan snacks on me at all times in order to prevent this.  It can't get any easier than packing some nuts and an apple or orange.  

I noticed how these decisions affected my body pretty quickly.  I felt lethargic almost instantly and had stomach aches.  All I wanted to do was sleep.  My allergies are always bad during a weather change and they're worse than they would be if I were eating better nutrients.  

If you're feeling lethargic, like me, and plan to rest tonight, check out the film Forks Over Knives which is available for live streaming on Netflix.  

1 comment:

  1. Colleen Patrick-Goudreau says, "Don't do nothing, because you can't do everything." I think that's a good thing to remember, and is basically what you wrote about. Feeling like if you're not perfect, then you're nothing. That's no good. I think it's good that you're aware of how the food you choose to eat effects your body and mood.

    I usually keep a bunch of 'bars' around at home, and at work. Pure bars are my favorite, but Clif bars are also all vegan, so those are good to have around when you're in a pinch. But it can get expensive, so I think you're absolutely right. Having some almonds and an apple or orange or banana is great, and cheap.

    One thing I always have to remind myself is that it doesn't matter if I don't feel like a certain food, if the alternative isn't vegan or isn't healthy, then the priority is sticking to the plan over immediate flavor gratification.

    ReplyDelete