Monday, April 15, 2013

Quick Meals

This weekend my son and I adopted a dog!  She is 2 years old and a perfect fit for our family.  This morning we took her on a short walk and she does well on the leash.  I would have liked to walk further but my son was getting tired.  


After our walk we went to the grocery store.  Grocery shopping is my MOST hated chore.  I'm known for running out of grocery items then ordering carryout for a week because I'm putting off a trip to the store.  Today, however, I found two new recipes that I'm excited to try.  This made going a little easier.  Plus, we picked up a couple of dog toys and grabbed my son some items for his first T-ball practice tonight!  

I wanted to mention that I bought a few frozen meals and items for quick preparation.  Obviously, my goal is to eat as healthy as possible.  But, let's face it, we all live in the real world and we don't always have the time needed to prepare a meal.  And, if you're anything like me, I can get pretty lazy and that makes choosing the wrong thing easier.  

I chose a few frozen meals by Amy's (look for the "non-dairy" label to be sure it's vegan), a couple of Amy's burritos (non-dairy), and one Kashi frozen meal (look for the "vegan" label).  It's important to watch the sodium content on these types of foods but they're great when you're in a pinch.  Add some fresh veggies and an orange to your meal and it's even better!  

I also bought a few bags of already seasoned frozen vegetables.  Of course, fresh is better but  the ease of frozen veggies is great on busy days.  We live in a fast food culture and, although taking 20 minutes to chop, prepare, and cook something isn't much time at all, it feels like forever for busy people.  On days where that isn't an option, it's good to have some of these vegan items on hand for quick preparation.  Just remember to check your labels as some are healthier than others.  Avoid packages with a lot of added salt or with any added sweetener (frozen fruits).  Also, frozen fruits and vegetables can assist in making healthy smoothies without the worry of your produce going bad too quickly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment